FITCHBURG – The Department of Public Works advises residents of the following work that will be done, weather permitting, during the week of June 19, 2023.
Monday – Friday, 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. Expect road closures, delays and detours.
• MassDOT will be continuing their reconstruction and rehabilitation of the Circle Street Bridge. Due to construction, the bridge will remain closed to vehicle and pedestrian traffic until further notice.
Combination Sanitary Sewer/Storm Drain Separation Project
Monday – Friday, 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Expect detours, lane shifts, road closures, and traffic delays.
Ongoing Combination Sanitary Sewer/Storm Drain Separation Project: Contractor will be conducting Sewer Infrastructure work on West Street. Contractor will work with residents to maintain access to their property at all times.
Minor traffic impacts:
Monday – Friday, 7 a.m. to 3 p.m.
• Pothole repairs in all wards.
• Spot sweeping will be performed Citywide.
• Lazaro Paving Corp. will be continuing construction on Industrial Road. The surface course will be ready to pave by the end of the week.
• Lazaro Paving Corp. will begin milling on Kimball Street on Tuesday followed by structure adjustments for the remainder of the week.
• Paving of Williams Road between McIntire Road and Ashburnham Hill Road.
• Milling of North Street between Green Street and Pearl Street.
• Repair water gate boxes at various locations throughout the City.
• Installation of handicap ramps on Boutelle Street at Goodrich Street.
• Wednesday through Friday water main work to be completed on Clarendon Street between Daniels Street and Franklin Road.
• Unitil will be conducting natural gas pipeline replacement projects in the areas of Franklin Road, Electric Ave, Simonds Street, Nutting Street, Apple Tree Hill, Daniels Street, Daniels Heights, Oak Hill Road, Taft Street, Mt. Vernon Street and Columbus Street Extension. The contractors Neuco, S. Fors, Feeney Brothers and O.G. Croteau, plan to work 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday thru Friday. Expect detours, temporary road closures and delays. Residents will be given notice on any planned service interruptions associated with the gas work.
• Unitil will be conducting natural gas pipeline replacement on South Street from Whalon Street to Rte 2. All work on the main stretch of South Street and Whalon Street will be conducted at night. Expect detours, temporary road closures and delays.
• Pine Ridge Technologies (PRT) will finish installing streetlight bases and begin installing replacement aluminum light poles on various streets throughout the City.
• Arcadis will be conducting storm water infrastructure inspections in the following areas: Shea Street, Pepper Road, Reingold Avenue, Goodfellow Drive, Drury Lane, and Milk Street. Expect minor delays, road closures, and/or detours. Please note the inspection of the infrastructure may include the use of dye and residents should not be alarmed. The contractor shall work with the resident if temporary access to their property is needed.
• Hydrant maintenance citywide.
• Monday through Friday – Hydrant flushing on the Low Water System (hydrants with red tops) in the Authority Drive, Princeton Road, Westminster Street, and Fifth Mass Turnpike areas.
Use SeeClickFix to report maintenance requests or concerns including potholes, sidewalks, signs/signals, lights, parks, catch basins or manholes.
Please call the DPW Dispatcher at 978-829-1900 with any immediate request including weather related events (snow, wind, ice, flooding) or sewage backups.