LEOMINSTER — As long as you don’t live under a rock, you’ve probably seen photos of this couple’s house but, chances are, you’ve never seen the property around the house – because it’s not there anymore.
The Obin residence on Pleasant Street was one of the properties absolutely rocked by the devastating Sept. 11 floods and now, according the residents’ son Andre Obin, the property has been condemned. That’s why he started a GoFundMe site last week and hundreds donated, bringing their total currently to $26,670, out of the $100,000 goal.
“My parents, Joanne and Arthur Obin, experienced a flash flood on Sept. 11 in Leominster. I am so grateful they are safe, but their home and property were devastated,” said Obin, son of Joanne and Arthur Obin. “I am setting up this fundraiser to help them with temporary hotel lodging, purchase clothing, and relocation costs.”
And, according to the GoFundMe site and many commenters, it does not look hopeful in regards to the insurance policy meant to protect their home.
“It is still unclear if their insurance company will cover any of the flood damage as this has been deemed an act of God,” he said.
He asks for privacy for his parents and thanked the 300-plus donors that have already given money to the fund.
“Thank you so much for helping my folks get back on their feet. They are too humble to ever dare ask for help but they need it right now,” said Obin.
He said Leominster’s Director of Public Works provided them an updated outlook last week and, “unfortunately it is grim,” at which point the goal was increased to $100,000.
To donate, visit GoFundMe.com and search “Emergency relief for Joanne and Arthur Obin.”