Authorities responded to a tractor-trailer rollover in Westford, Massachusetts on Saturday morning.
Mass. State Police say they responded to a two vehicle crash that caused a tractor-trailer to roll over off the side of the road on Route 495 Northb…
Your Hometown Radio
by
Authorities responded to a tractor-trailer rollover in Westford, Massachusetts on Saturday morning.
Mass. State Police say they responded to a two vehicle crash that caused a tractor-trailer to roll over off the side of the road on Route 495 Northb…
by
The U.K.’s Princess of Wales, Kate MIddleton, revealed on Friday she has been diagnosed with cancer and is undergoing chemotherapy.
There’s been a lot of reaction to this news but overall people are keeping their fingers crossed for Princess Kate as she undergoes chemotherapy.
Kate Middleton’s last official appearance was on Christmas of last year. She undergoes major abdominal surgery about three weeks later on January 16th. She was next seen on March 4th riding in an SUV driven by her mother. Then again on March 11th leaving Windsor Castle with Prince William. That’s the same day she apologized for an altered family photo.
The princess of Wales released a video yesterday announcing the diagnosis, but didn’t specify exactly what type of cancer she has. The 42-year-old mother of three says that her condition was initially believed to be benign, but that cancer was found in her post-op testing. She goes on to explain that her medical team advised her to undergo a course of preventative chemotherapy.
“As you can imagine, this has taken time. IT has taken me time to recover from major surgery in order to start my treatment, but most importantly it has taken us time to explain everything to George, Charlotte and Louie in a way that is appropriate for them and to reassure them that I’m going to be okay.” she said in her statement.
Rumors about her health were already swirling before the palace released this picture of Kate with her children. The royal family’s attempt to mitigate any speculation only ignited more conspiracies all over the internet. And the fascination reaches across the pond.
In Acton, Massachusetts, people have been asking the owners of the Bees Knees about the news.
“The whole thing just sad really. The fact that she’s going through such a big illness and upheaval in her life and she has to do it in front of the camera. She has to do it with the whole world watching. It’s hard enough without that isn’t it. I wouldn’t wish that on anyone. No and I think most of our customers and people who come in here — they’re sympathetic and agree that like just let her be.” said The Bees Knees co-owners Trish Zarola and Lucinda Sears.
Kate and her family are asking for privacy as she undergoes treatment and recovery.
by
Nearly three months into the new year, homicides in Boston are down.
This time last year, there were 10 homicides in the city, including eight fatal shootings. There have been two homicides so far this year — an 80% decrease.
The year started of…
by
The Massachusetts Senate has approved limits on how long homeless families can stay in emergency state shelters as part of an $850 million plan to fund the system at the center of the migrant crisis.
Under the bill approved late Thursday by a vote …
by
Shuttle buses are replacing the MBTA’s Blue Line service between Suffolk Downs and Bowdoin due to an issue with the overhead wiring system near Orient Heights, the agency said Friday evening.
An agency spokesperson said the issue started arou…
by
The man accused of sexually assaulting a teenage girl at a Massachusetts hotel that serves as a migrant shelter, where both have been staying, will be held without bail, a judge ruled Friday.
Prosecutors had requested that Cory Alvarez be held without bail — and as part of her argument, Assistant District Attorney Shanan Buckingham said that home confinement in this case wouldn’t serve to protect the 15-year-old alleged victim or other people living at the Comfort Inn on Rockland’s Hingham Street. She also noted that her office wasn’t able to figure out if there were alternative places where Alvarez could be housed, citing a lack of transparency over the housing program.
“This is a difficult situation where we’re aware that the defendant is a non-citizen, he’s living at this particular shelter under a federal program. Unfortunately, the Commonwealth wasn’t able to provide the court with a lot of background on the program or the defendants … that’s because there’s no transparency at this point in the program.
“The district attorney’s office attempted to make inquiry of state agencies to try to identify answers to particular questions about this particular program and we were not able to get those questions met,” Buckingham continued.
Alvarez was also arraigned Friday on two new charges: aggravated rape of a child with a 10-year age difference and rape of a child by force — he’d previously been charged with aggravated rape of a child. A not guilty plea was entered on Alvarez’ behalf for the new set of charges.
Resources for victims of sexual assault are available through the National Sexual Violence Resources Center and the National Sexual Assault Telephone Hotline at 800-656-4673, and Massachusetts provides this list of statewide and resources for sexual assault survivors.
His lawyer asked the judge not to hold him without bail, saying that the only evidence a sexual assault took place was the alleged victim’s statement.
“It’s still only a person’s words, and what the government is asking the court to do is remove Mr. Alvarez from society and hold him for six months. I think that’s too much to ask,” said the attorney, Brian Kelley.
He also said surveillance video that prosecutors entered as evidence showing the door to the hotel room where the rape allegedly happened casts doubt on the prosecution’s story.
“When she comes out of the room and seems completely fine. She walks by two guards who are dressed in military garb, which, even if you don’t speak the language, you can only assume those people are there to help,” Kelley said.
Prosecutors said the incident, which is still under investigation, involved Alvarez pulling the girl’s pants down, pushing her onto a bed and penetrating her.
Alvarez was in court for the hearing, which was delayed by several hours while the court found an interpreter for Alvarez and the defense could review the surveillance video with the man.
When Judge Heather Bradley ordered that Alvarez be held without bail for 120 days, she said she’d seen “clear and convincing evidence that the defendant poses a danger to the alleged victim, a minor child, and to the community at large. And I further find that there are no conditions of release at this time that would ensure the safety of the community and the alleged victim.”
He’s due back in court April 22.
Rockland police were called to the hotel about 7:06 p.m. on the night of March 13, and officers found the alleged victim, who was taken to South Shore Hospital to be treated, prosecutors have said. Alvarez was later taken into custody.
The teenager told investigators that she went back to Alvarez’ room because he was helping her put apps on her tablet, according to court paperwork. That’s when she was assaulted, she said.
She told the man “to leave me alone, but he didn’t stop,” court paperwork said.
Massachusetts has been working to house an influx of migrants that’s strained the state’s shelter system. Last week, the state’s House approved a bill that, if also approved by the Senate and Gov. Maura Healey, would send $245 million more to the system while capping family stays to nine consecutive months.
The system is currently at capacity with 7,500 families, which is the Healey implemented last year with roughly 800 more on a waiting list.
WPKZ 105.3FM/1280AM
762 Water Street | Fitchburg, MA 01275 | 978.343.3766
EEO | FCC Quarterly Report | Contest Rules
© 2019 WPKZ | Website Development: Insight Dezign