FITCHBURG — The careless disposal of smoking materials were to blame for a one-alarm house fire on Oliver Street Tuesday that evacuated the 3-unit home but resulted in no injuries. Fire officials say they had it extinguished within an hour and prevented it from spreading to the rest of the house.
Shortly before 10 p.m. on Aug. 1, firefighters responded to the building fire on the second floor to find that sprinklers were going and had helped keep it from spreading, according to Deputy Chief Chad Courtmanche of the Fitchburg Fire Department.
He said the sprinklers, combined with the quick response of firefighters, greatly minimized the extent of the fire in the two-story, 3-unit home.
The fire had started as a result of “careless disposal of smoking material,” Courtmanche said, and had caused fire damage to the upper righthand corner of the building on Oliver Street. The incident also resulted in water damage on the second floor and right below it on the first floor.
The occupants in all 3 units had to be evacuated but no injuries were reported, according to Courtmanche. Two residents that were inside the unit with the fire were transported to an area hospital as a precaution but were released shortly after. The Red Cross responded in order to help any occupants that needed somewhere to stay while the house was fixed, which is currently underway.
Courtmanche said the fire, which could have easily spread to the rest of the building, had caused roughly $20,000 in damage to the $262,000 home. The Fitchburg Fire Department handled the incident but had Leominster Fire respond to provide support at their stations.