FITCHBURG – The Department of Public Works advises residents of the following work that will be done, weather permitting, during the week of Oct. 9, 2023.
Monday-Friday, 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. Expect road closures, delays and detours.
• MassDOT will be continuing their reconstruction and rehabilitation of the Circle Street Bridge. The bridge will remain closed to vehicle and pedestrian traffic until further notice.
Combination sanitary sewer/storm drain separation project
Monday-Friday, 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Expect detours, lane shifts, road closures, and traffic delays.
• Contractor will be continuing Sewer Infrastructure work on Main Street at the intersection of River Street. Roads to remain open and passable for CCTV work only. The contractor will work with residents to maintain access to their property at all times. Residents and business owners, be advised the Main Street at River Street detour is now in place. Please follow all traffic and detour signs. The Fitchburg Police Department is available for any traffic or detour questions.
Minor traffic impacts
Monday-Friday, 7 a.m. to 3 p.m.
• Storm cleanup will continue. Residents, please be patient as crews work though impacted areas restoring the City utilities and roadway infrastructure. Residents and business owners should continue to report all unsafe conditions on See-Click-Fix. Work will be prioritized and attended to as crews become available.
• Pothole repairs Citywide.
• Repair water gate boxes at various locations throughout the City.
• Unitil will be conducting natural gas pipeline replacement projects in the areas of: Mount Vernon Street, Rockdale Avenue, Valdalia Avenue, Granite Street, Garnet Street, and Goodwin Street. The contractors Neuco, S. Fors, Feeney Brothers and O.G. Croteau, plan to work 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday thru Friday. Expect detours, temporary road closures and delays. Residents will be given notice on any planned service interruptions associated with the gas work.
• Bigelow Road will be closed Oct. 7-8 for paving. This will impact the Mechanic Street entrance.
• Pine Ridge Technologies will finish installing streetlight bases and begin installing replacement aluminum light poles on various streets throughout the City.
• Arcadis will be conducting stormwater infrastructure inspections in the following areas: Stoneybrook Road and Nijal Court. Please note the inspection of the infrastructure may include the use of dye and residents should not be alarmed. The contractor shall work with residents if temporary access to their property is needed.
• Due to ongoing construction at Crocker Elementary School, heavier than normal traffic may be experienced on Mechanic Street, Bigelow Drive and Whittemore Street. Over the next few weeks there will be steel deliveries, concrete trucks and dump trucks along with construction personnel vehicles.
• Hydrant maintenance City-wide.
• Monday through Friday – Winterizing fire hydrants at various locations City-wide.
Use SeeClickFix to report maintenance requests or concerns including potholes, sidewalks, signs/signals, lights, parks, catch basins or manholes. Please call the DPW Dispatcher at 978-829-1900 with any immediate request including weather related events (snow, wind, ice, flooding) or sewage backups.